You may have heard about garlic in nail polish, but do you know if it actually works? Well we’ve put this experiment to the test to see if indeed, adding garlic to your clear nail polish will strengthen dry, brittle nails, and also make them grow. The answer? Absolutely yes! It’s said that Dominican women have the most beautiful, longest, and strongest nails you will ever see, and when asked, their answer is always garlic! Well, thank you Dominican ladies for letting us in on your amazing little secret, because garlic works wonders for your nails!
But do you know why? Garlic is a natural antiseptic and we’ve all used garlic once in a while to get rid of a cold (garlic soup for cold and flu, anyone), because garlic gets rid of fungus and bacteria.
You may be saying though, that you don’t have nail fungus OR bacteria! Unfortunately, most people do though, even though you may not notice it! This is one of the biggest reasons why people have brittle, breaking nails that won’t grow. Our hands and nails constantly come into contact with all kinds of dirt and grime on a daily basis, and even if you DO wash your hands, the dirt and bacteria can still hide deep underneath the nails.
All that dirt that gets trapped there can create fungus that’s actually invisible – but this is what makes your nails so brittle! Therefore, garlic can help combat this fungus so your nails can finally be healthy, strong, and long!
- Crush a garlic clove with the back of a knife and mince.
- Add the crushed garlic to a bottle of clear nail polish (base coat or top coat).
- Let the garlic set for 7-10 days in a dry, dark place. Shake every once in a while.
- After 7-10 days have elapsed, you may go ahead and use your polish as often as you like. The more often you use it, the faster your nails will start repairing themselves.
- Use as a base coat, a top coat, or both.
The smell will be there when you apply, but only for a second!