Flavorful recipe for Moroccan Spicy Red Lentil Soup comes from Acedarspoon blog. Base of soup is made of red lentils and carrots with addition of warm spices like cinnamon, turmeric, coriander, cumin and paprika.
Usually it is quick and easy to make. When I cooked the soup, my lentils were a bit hard, so they took longer time to cook, but it was all worth it. This hearty soup is creamy without using cream, packed with nutritional goodness, super tasty and will make a good lunch or supper.
Spicy Red Lentil Soup
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 7 carrots, chopped
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 teaspoon coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 6 cups vegetable (or chicken) broth
- 1-15 oz can diced tomatoes
- 2 cups cooked red lentils, rinsed until water runs clear
- Salt and pepper to taste
- GARNISH : Greek yogurt, fresh cilantro or parsley, lemon juice and red pepper flakes ( optional)
- Sauté the onion and garlic in olive oil until soft. Add carrots and sauté until carrots are tender about 10-12 minutes.
- Add spices and sauté for an additional 2 minutes.
- Add broth, tomatoes and lentils and stir to combine. Simmer on low heat for about 30 minutes until lentils are tender.
- Blend soup to make it creamy.
- Serve with a dollop of Greek yogurt, chopped fresh cilantro (or parsley), red pepper flakes and fresh lemon juice.